The Community Development Journal (CDJ) is seeking a new part-time Editorial Assistant to support us in the production and promotion of the journal.
This is an hourly-paid role for a self-employed individual. It would be ideal for community practitioners/activists and/or postgraduate/postdoctoral researchers, and will mostly consist of remote-working. The role will be available from August 2022, with the editorial assistant initially contracted for a two-year period.
No previous experience of journal management is required. Training will be provided as necessary.
Essential and Desirable Qualities
We are looking for someone with the following qualities:
• Excellent attention to detail (Essential)
• Excellent English language and grammar skills (Essential)
• Highly organised (Essential)
• Friendly correspondence style (Essential)
• Commitment to social justice, diversity, and environmental sustainability (Essential)
• Familiarity with editorial/publication processes (Desirable)
• Familiarity with the field of community development (Desirable)
Roles and Responsibilities
Working with the Editor(s) to assist in their duties (excluding making decisions on articles):
• Provide administrative oversight to Editor(s) in operation of ScholarOne Manuscripts
• Meet regularly with Editor(s) to discuss the work of the Editorial Team
• Weekly check-in on progress of reviews on ScholarOne Manuscripts, progressing articles through the system
• Prepare articles for double-blind peer review, ensuring that they are appropriately anonymised and liaising with authors where relevant
• If appropriate, support the Editor(s) with the selection of reviewers for articles
• Act as a point of contact for authors and reviewers
• Liaising with authors and the Digital Domain Team on publication of articles in order to aid promotion and dissemination
• Attend meetings as requested, such as with the CDJ Board and Exec
• Other tasks, to be negotiated on an ad-hoc basis. For example, printing or scanning materials, proofreading, support in plagiarism investigations, training colleagues.
Deadline for applications: 5pm on 3rd July 2022.
Interviews will be held online: w/c 18th July 2022.
Work to commence as soon as possible, ideally in August 2022
Full role and job description: CDJ Editorial Assistant Role Specification